2 3 kingfish or surmai
2 large onions
5 6 cloves of garlic
2 quartered big onions
50 gm of red chillies
25 gm of cinnamon and black cardamom
25 gm of green cardamom and dry ginger powder
25 gm of black cumin seeds
2 Tbsp desi ghee
Few pieces of Kokum
1 lotus stem
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 3 cinnamon sticks
3 4 green cardamoms
4 5 cloves
1 piece of black cardamom
1 Tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp dry ginger powder
Salt & water
1. Take 2 3 kingfish,wash it and cut it into equal size pieces.
2. Rub the fish pieces with some salt. Keep them for 15 minutes.
3. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces.
4. Once they turn golden brown take them out in a bowl.
5. Now take 2 large onions and dice them into thin long slices.
6. Fry these onion slices in oil.
7. As the onions turn golden brown take them out.
8. Take the fried onions and blend them in the mixer to make a fine paste.
9. Now take few pieces of Kokum,boil water in a pan and add Kokum to it. This is done in order to extract the essence out of it.
10. Once the Kokum essence gets extracted in the water,take them out. Discard the Kokum pieces.
11. Take 5 6 cloves of garlic,2 quartered big onions,50 grams of red chillies,25 grams of cinnamon and black cardamom,25 grams of green cardamom and dry ginger powder and 25 grams of black cumin seeds.
12. Add some water and blend all the ingredients together in the mixer to make a thick paste.
13. This is your Kashmiri Vadi.
14. Take 1 lotus stem,peel it nicely and cut it into diagonal pieces.
15. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan,add 2 3 cinnamon sticks,3 4 green cardamoms,4 5 cloves,1 piece of black cardamom. Saute.
16. Moment they start to splutter add 1 Tbsp garlic paste.
17. Once the garlic starts turning brown add the lotus stems,2 tsp turmeric,and 1 tsp red chilli powder. Saute.
18. Now add 1 Tbsp vadi masala made above. Saute for some time.
19. Now add the Kokum essence water,stir gently and cook for some time.
20. Now add the brown onion paste. Saute for some more time.
21. Now add the fish pieces,mix it and then add 1 tsp dry ginger powder and some salt. Saute.
22. Keep for 2 minutes.
23. Serve hot.