INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4):
500gm Fish,cut into 8 10 equal size fillets (I like keeping it slightly triangular)
1 cup Gram flour (besan)
1 tsp Carom seed (ajwain)
1 tsp red chilli pwd
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1 and ½ tbsp ginger Garlic paste
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
A little chilled water for batter
Oil to deep fry
Fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
Chaat masala,onion rings,lemon wedges to serve
1. Marinate the fish fillets in vinegar,crushed black pepper,1 tsp oil and a little sprinkle of salt and keep aside for 15 20 mins.
2. Then mix together gram flour,chilli pwd,salt and carom seed in a bowl. Crack in the egg,ginger garlic paste and mix together to make a thick batter,add about 4 extra tbsp of chilled water and make a smooth batter.
3. Drain the excess liquid from the marinated fish and then add the prepared batter to the fish and completely coat the fillets with the batter. Leave on to rest for 5 mins while you slowly heat the oil to fry.
4. When the oil is hot enough,check by dropping a small dollop of batter if it hits back the surface immediately then the oil is ready. Deep fry the batter smeared fillets until crispy and golden on all side.
5. Drain on a kitchen tissue,garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with a sprinkle of chaat masala alongside onion rings,lemon wedges and a curd and mint chutney.